NEXT FOUNDATION FUNDRAISING EVENT:
The Bar Association Young Lawyers Division is hosting a 9th annual Charity Miniature Golf and Wine & Beer Tasting Tournament to benefit the Bar Foundation. The event will be held on Monday, October 27, 2014 from 6pm to 8pm at the Meadows Racetrack and Casino. Adult players can enjoy 9 holes of minigolf while sampling fine wines and microbrews, The event will be held in the Triple Crown Room in the lower level of the casino; therefore, players of all ages can enjoy the indoor miniature golf with casino-themed obstacles. Skill prizes for teams and individuals will be awarded, and every hole-in-one receives a prize. Attendees will also have an opportunity to wine door prizes and raffle prizes. Download the registration and sponsorship information HERE.
HISTORY & PURPOSE
The Washington County Bar Foundation was established in 1989 for the purpose of further cultivating the science of jurisprudence, improving the legal and judicial system and facilitating the administration of justice. As a 501c3 non-profit charitable organization, the Bar Foundation provides a means by which tax-exempt gifts can be received to supplement the public service work of the Washington County Bar Association.
To fulfill its mission, the Bar Foundation raises, manages and distributes funds for the purpose of supporting legal services for the poor, providing law-related educational programs and scholarships, and promoting public information and educational initiatives.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- Jim McCune, Chairman, Emeritus
- Susan Key, Vice-Chairman, ‘14
- Brian Gorman, Secretary, ‘15
- Blane Black, Treasurer, ‘14
- Keith Bassi ‘15
- Mary Lyn Drewitz ‘14
- Jim Haines ‘15
- MariAnn Hathaway ‘16
- Jozie Johnson ‘16
- Ed Morascyzk, ‘16
- Phil Binotto, ‘14
- R. Maureen Myers ‘15
- Chuck Keller, Emeritus
- Joe Moschetta, Emeritus
OPPORTUNITIES FOR GIVING
In addition to general and project-specific financial contributions and Memorial Donations in honor of deceased Bar members, the Bar Foundation receives funds through various annual and special fundraising activities. The success of these events is due to the efforts and support of many Bar members, area businesses, individuals and organizations. Special events have included a Charity Golf Tournament, YLD Miniature Golf & Wine & Cheese Tasting Tournament, Bar Banquet Silent Auction, 1998 Art Show & Auction, and 1997 Benefit Through Design.
RECENT GRANT RECIPIENTS
- Southwestern PA Legal Aid Society, for provision of legal assistance to indigent individuals
- Juvenile Court Advisory Board, for scholarship program
- Washington County Literacy Council, jail literacy project, and reading center at Washington Family Court Center
- Committee for Racial Equality, student scholarships for the “Where Intolerance Ends” workshop
- Avis Arbor, Children & Youth Social Services Youth Fund, Community Action Southwest, Family Action Network, Connect Inc., Interfaith Hospitality Network and Washington Women’s Shelter, as part of the WCBA Members’ Annual Holiday Gift Drive for Children that supports homeless and needy children and children in foster or residential placement.
Washington County Bar Foundation
c/o James H. McCune, Chairman
119 S. College St., Washington, PA 15301
The Bar Foundation is supported generously by the Pennsylvania IOLTA Fund, Washington County Civil Litigation Mediation Program, Academy of Southwestern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers, law firms, attorneys, the Washington County Bar Association and supportive private citizens and organizations.
The official registration and financial information of the Washington County Bar Foundation may be obtained from the PA Department of State by calling toll-free, within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement.